Officers of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) escaped being killed by rampaging smugglers in Ogun state.
The officers were escorting seized smuggled rice from Ilaro navigating to Abeokuta Government Warehouse, on Friday, when they where ambushed by a group of hoodlums.
The Officers restrained themselves by controlling the situation without using force.
The attackers, according to a press statement by the Command’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Abdullahi Aliyu Maiwada, pelted the officers with stones, bottles, cutlasses, sticks and other dangerous items.
The distressed officers reportedly sought for reinforcement that saw operatives of the Nigerian Army, Police and Customs men from both the Federal Operations Unit (FOU), Ikeja, and Ogun Command coming to their rescue.
Before then, two of the officers had sustained severe injuries.
- Three customs officers detained over Shagamu killings
- Customs and Air Force officers clash in Badagry
- US Customs seize $15,860 undeclared cash from Nigerian couple
- Man shot dead by Customs officer: Nigeria Customs reacts
- Customs officer kills colleague while trying to extort traveler