Unknown gunmen have reportedly set electoral materials on fire in Gwer East Local Government Area of Benue State.
According to sources, the hoodlums on arrival fired shots in the air before setting on fire the RCM Primary School Aya, housing the materials.
Mrs. Ngunan Yongo, the Electoral Officer for the local government, confirmed the incident to newsmen.
The EO said the materials were yet to be distributed to polling units in the ward when the attack occurred.
“The entire materials are burnt,” she lamented.
However, no official of the commission including the ad hoc staff were hurt.
She explained that final decision over the conduct of the elections in the area would be communicated later.
Mr Thaddeus Ujah, a senior staff of the commission, also confirmed the early morning attack.
“Right now I can’t say anything, I am overwhelmed; we were not expecting anything of that nature. I am short of words. I can’t see some of my people, they ran into the bush, some of them got injured. For me, the most important thing to me now is to get those people and take them back”.
- Gunmen abduct four INEC officials in Bauchi state
- Gunmen in military uniform attack vehicle carrying election materials in Benue
- Boko Haram Members Straight Out Of Sambisa Kill 26 in Kudakaya Village in Adamawa
- INEC office Set on Fire by Thugs in Osun State
- Gunmen attack Sokoto village, kill 82-year-old traditional ruler