Ezekiel Afon, a lawmaker whose victory was announced only hours ago after he won the state house of assembly election as the representative of Pengana Constituency in Plateau State, has died.
He contested on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Bashir Sati, the APC Secretary in the state, confirmed the lawmaker’s death to NAN on Sunday in Jos, the Plateau State capital.
According to Sati, Afon died on Sunday afternoon after a brief illness.
“It is unfortunate that we lost Afon, one of the most dedicated members of our party and a committed lawmaker just after he was declared winner to occupy his seat again. Though he has been sick for a while, we received the news of his demise with rude shock,” he said.
Afon was first elected into the Assembly under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 2015, but defected to APC in 2017.
- Ezekiel Afon, APC lawmaker-elect in Plateau dies hours after winning
- Reps member Olatoye ‘Sugar’ shot dead
- 32-year-old Adebo Ogundoyin emerges Oyo Assembly Speaker
- Dino Melaye declares for Kogi governorship race
- APC sweeps Lagos House of Assembly