Prof Bolaji Owasanoye, the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, has exposed the role of some financial institutions in financial crimes.
According to him, some of them opened but provided services that aide criminal acts e.g opening accounts for criminals.
The spokesperson for the commission,
Rasheedat Okoduwa , made this known in a press statement where she said the ICPC would ensure continuous clampdown on corrupt elements in the industry.
“The ICPC chairman has pledged the commission’s commitment to working together with financial institutions in order to rid them of corrupt elements. The chairman expressed concerns at the complicity of a few of Nigeria’s financial services industry in the ruination of the country, stating that one bad apple can ruin the entire bunch.
He described how some financial institutions condone unethical conducts by opening accounts for criminals and how they use innuendos to make suggestions of criminality to lure customers. He also pointed out that unethical investors undermine the ethics of the industry, and promised to deal decisively with the likes of them who infringe the law,” said the statement.
Calling on stakeholders in the industry to work with the anti-corruption agency, the ICPC boss noted that such would help in isolating the corrupt elements in the system.
- Some Bankers Are Deliberately Sabotaging Our Investigations, Says Magu
- The corruption taking place in higher institutions in Nigeria is so alarming – Magu
- 37 Corrupt FRSC Officers,5 Others Arrested by ICPC For Highway Extortion
- EFCC dissociates self from roadblocks mounted in search of Yahoo boys
- EFCC, Magu get two-week ultimatum to prosecute former Bauchi governor, Abubakar