A man has reportedly been shot dead by a police officer in Akwa Ibom during a wedding ceremony on Thursday, November 7th.
According to reports the wedding ceremony where the Police officer allegedly killed a man was also attended by Akwa Ibom state governor, Udom Emmanuel in Ikot Ukab, Nsit Ubium Local Government Area of the state.
The police spokesperson, Odiko MacDon, confirmed the incident and identified the victim as Godwin Thomas through a statement issued on Friday. The statement reads in part;
“Our preliminary findings showed that as at the time of the incident, the security personnel from Akwa Ibom Government House had left the area,” Mr MacDon, a superintendent of police, said in the statement.
The police statement said the marriage ceremony was “well attended”, apparently referring to the presence of the governor and other dignitaries at the event. “There were police personnel from within the state and neighbouring states on escort duties,” the police spokesperson added.
“While the identity of the perpetrator of this dastardly act is, for now, unknown, the Commissioner of Police, Zaki Ahmed has ordered for a more discreet investigation to be quickly carried out to unravel the perpetrator of the said crime and prosecute same,” he said.
- Hospital Equipment Meant For Constituency Project Recovered In ‘Akpabio’s Foundation’
- Man claims he defiled his 2-year-old step daughter thinking she was his wife
- 100-Level Student Allegedly Killed In Bayelsa by Civil Defence Officer
- Fire razes Niger State government house
- Police Arrest Suspected Killer Who Tried To Strangle His Victim At Hotel In Rivers