Dwight Ritchie is dead, the Australian boxer died in a freak training accident with Michael Zerafa in Melbourne.
Dwight Ritchie, 27-year-old collapsed and was announced dead on Saturday after a training session with Michael Zerafa, who is preparing for his rematch with Jeff Horn after winning the Battle of Bendigo.
Dwight Ritchie cause of death?
News Corp broke the news and reported Ritchie took a body shot, walked back to his corner, collapsed and could not be revived.
Ritchie was previously an Australian middleweight champion and hit the headlines when he fought Tim Tszyu in August, losing only for the second time in a 21-fight career.
Dwight Ritchie Tribute and condolence messages
“Today we lost a champion both in and out of the ring with the tragic passing of Dwight Ritchie. As a group we are all shattered, our thoughts and prayers go out to the Ritchie’s family as we all take a moment to remember a great warrior and champion. Gone too soon,” posted Tszyu on Facebook.
Ritchie’s promoter Jake Ellis also took to social media to offer his condolences.
“As Dwight’s promoter and friend it’s unbearable to accept the tragic news that’s just surfaced,” Ellis tweeted. “Dwight will always be remembered by the boxing fraternity as one of the brightest talents in Australia whose fighting style embodied exactly how he lived. RIP Cowboy you’ll be forever missed.”
- Two Pupils Dead, Many Injured As Classroom Wall Collapse In Kenya
- Horror! Beautiful Girl Dies After Her Charging Phone Exploded As She Listened To Music In Bed
- Man caught while trying to sleep with best friend’s wife in Anambra (photos)
- Michael Jackson’s first Moonwalk Socks up for Sale for a Huge Amount from $1-2 Million
- Nigerian Israel Adesanya becomes UFC Middleweight Champ (Video)