Lionel Messi has been shown his first ever red card in the colours of Barcelona as the Catalan giants were beaten 3-2 in Spanish Super Cup final.
It was the Argentine’s 753rd game for the club, however it was not his first ever career red card in a game which stretched into extra-time.
As the match approached the closing stages, Messi’s path was crossed by Asier Villalibre and the it took the six-time Ballon d’Or winner a push to take the player off the way.
Here is the Messi red card from tonight.. 🟥🟥🟥
— Footy Accumulators (@FootyAccums) January 17, 2021
Following the incident, centre referee Gil Manzano who had missed the incident was called for a VAR review and upon replay, the official showed Messi straight red.
The situation is coming in a frustrating season for the 33-year-old who earlier tendered his transfer request at the club as they are now unable to take any silverware in two seasons.
Antoine Griezmann continued his recent revival by finding the net twice only for Oscar de Marcos and Villalibre to reply for the Basques. Indeed, their second equaliser came in the 90th minute of the game.
In extra time, Iniaki Williams struck before Messi saw red in the 121st minute.
- Breaking News: Messi Gives Reasons As He Makes U-turn, To Remain At Barcelona
- Leo Messi hands in Barcelona transfer request, choose Manchester City as preferred destination
- Lionel Messi reveals why he wanted to leave Barcelona
- Victor Osimhen scores another Hat-Trick for Napoli in days (Video)
- Meet 11-year-old Nigerian footballer who has a Guinness World Record