The Federal government has disclosed that it is willing to grant amnesty to inmates who voluntarily return to prison after the jailbreak at the Imo state correctional Center on Monday, April 5.
The Minister of Interior Affairs, Rauf Aregbesola gave the assurance while inspecting the attacked centre on Tuesday, April 6.
The minister said the federal government will leave no stone unturned to fish out perpetrators of what he described as a “dastardly act”.
“Unlawful escape from custody is a crime but government in its magnanimity will grant amnesty to prisoners who willfully return. They will no longer be charged with unlawful escape but only for the initial crimes that took them to prison. So we urge all escapees to return before they are caught on the run.” the Minister said.
1,844 of the inmates are currently on the run.
- Imo Jailbreak: Over 80 Fleeing Inmates Return To Imo Correctional Centre
- FG Announces Public Holiday To Mark Eldi Fitri Celebration
- FG declares Friday, 1st May, 2020 a public holiday .
- Mission of 15 Chinese medical doctors in Nigeria, revealed by Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola
- FG Declares Public Holiday To Celebrate Democracy Day